If you just caught my seminar at the Willamette Sportsman Show, thanks so much for coming! One of the best parts of my job is teaching cooking seminars. This recipe was developed in 2011 for the O’Loughlin Trade Shows in their Camp Cooking seminars. Hundreds of seminar attendees and sport show vendors sampled this chili and the reviews were fantastic. This can be made with ground or chopped pork, wild boar, wild turkey or any upland game bird. We like it so much it’s the first recipe in our book, Cooking Game Birds. Order the book now and I will send you a free, Plank It! Wrap It! cookbook (valued at 9.95).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds pork or turkey, ground or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 7-ounce cans diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon green Tabasco sauce
- 6 cups turkey/chicken stock or broth
- 3 15-ounce cans cannellini or white beans
- 1 cup instant or real mashed potatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil on medium heat, 2-3 minutes. Add turkey and seasonings, sauteing an additional 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except lime juice, and simmer at least 30 minutes. Remove from heat, add lime juice and serve.